[Mongrel] Critical Issue - Site down...

Erik Hetzner erik.hetzner at ucop.edu
Wed Feb 21 16:06:55 EST 2007

At Wed, 21 Feb 2007 15:54:11 -0500,
"Roy Satterfield" <roys at okabashi.com> wrote:
> Zed,
> Are you saying that this issue is caused by there not being enough RAM
> on the server?
> There are 2 sites running on this server. EV1 restarted the VPS and I
> took my other site down....
> Even with the other site down this site would not restart.
> But the weird part is the other site will restart without any problems.
> So if it is a memory problem then why will one site start properly?

On a VPS the numbers which may be reported by utilities like top, etc.
don’t correspond to the amount of memory which actually available for
your server instance. I’m not all that familiar with the way these
things work but it’s happened to me. You are running out of memory. It
has nothing to do with mongrel except mongrel is using that last bit
of memory. Kill unnecessary processes, or talk to your ISP and have
them increase your memory allocation.

Erik Hetzner