[Mongrel] Auto-installing Gems via boot.rb causes errors under Mongrel

Zed A. Shaw zedshaw at zedshaw.com
Fri Feb 16 05:02:16 EST 2007

On Wed, 7 Feb 2007 00:00:29 -0700
"Chad Woolley" <thewoolleyman at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I'm trying to make my Rails app auto-install my required gems, by
> invoking the gem installation in boot.rb.  I'll use the ActionMailer
> gem as an example:

Did you ever figure this out Chad?  My thinking is that if there's
anything messing up gems it'd be GemPlugins.  The easiest way to test
that is open up mongrel_rails, go to the bottom where GemPlugin is run,
and then put that into the webrick script real quick.

If that then blows up webrick then that's the cause.  Otherwise, it
might be some kind of race condition that isn't hit because webrick is
slower.

http://www.zedshaw.com/
http://mongrel.rubyforge.org/