[Mongrel] Gem install from script

Wayne E. Seguin wayneeseguin at gmail.com
Thu Feb 15 22:03:29 EST 2007

Graham,

My understanding is that rubygems (gem) simply pulls a list of
available gems fitting the described project from rubyforge (or the
supplied source url). Both *nix and Windows gems are released here
and hence they are showing up on the prompt.

You can see this here:

or here: (where I get my releases from, I hope it's the "correct" one :)
	http://mongrel.rubyforge.org/releases/gems/

I do agree that it *should* detect the platform if it can and have a
mechanism for choosing based on that. I don't believe that they've
come to an agreement on the best way to do this, however you should
research this issue yourself as I'm not completely familiar with the
discussion track.

Here's another option:

Use either "curl -O" or "wget" to download a specific mongrel gem,
then install it (Mac OS X comes with curl, Linux comes with one or
the other or both based on the distro).

 > wget http://mongrel.rubyforge.org/releases/gems/mongrel-1.0.1.gem
 > gem install mongrel-1.0.1.gem

(Note: If this isn't being run as root, put a sudo in front of the
gem install)

I prefer this method for dynamic systems as I can specify the version
in installation / setup scripts and not have to worry about using the
echo or other such tricks and it going awry.
Anther benefit is that you can serve the gems yourself internally so
that you monitor which ones get "released" to your systems and
check / test the code before pushing a new version.

Of course it has a downside, you have to manually update when new
versions come out.
That said, shouldn't we be monitoring these and evaluating whether or
not upgrades should occur based on the changelogs and personal
testing etc...?
So... it should not be much of an issue, especially considering you
were basically attempting this to begin with ;)

Ok... I'm rambling. Does this method help to accomplish your goals?

~Wayne