[Mongrel] [ANN] fastthread-0.6.4.1 released

Luis Lavena luislavena at gmail.com
Thu Feb 15 11:06:55 EST 2007

On 2/15/07, Ball, Donald A Jr (Library) <donald.ball at nashville.gov> wrote:
> > Following MenTaLguY release, I compiled and uploaded to rubyforge
> > win32 gem of fastthread.
> >
> > Waiting it spread to all gem mirrors.
>
> Do you recommend using fastthread with mongrel/mongrel_service in
> production on win32?

Yes, since any implementation of ruby 1.8 have the issues described by
MenTaLguY.
(even after several test win32 didn't show leak described months ago by Zed).

I recommend and been using it without troubles.

> For that matter, I seem to recall you advocating against pen for load
> balancing on win32.

The problem is cygwin and all the translation/compatibility layer. Pen is *nix.

Even if you see Pen on Windows (http://siag.nu/pen/). You sacrifice
performance due that extra layer around your processes.

> Do you have an alternate recommendation?

No, not yet. Guess until a serious option (without expending thousand
dollars in Windows Server 2003, which have built in support for this),
Pen will be the one.

Regards,

--
Luis Lavena