[Mongrel] mongrel_cluster clarification

Patrick Berry pberry at gmail.com
Fri Feb 9 18:27:11 EST 2007

On 2/9/07, Jason A. Hoffman <jason at joyent.com> wrote:

> Hi Pat,
>
> How are you going to put more than one mongrel behind Apache 2.0?
>
> Regards, Jason

Our apps are, at first, going to be very low traffic.  So we're planning on
doing virtual hosts with a ProxyPass setup to a mongrel_cluster only running
one server in each one (negating the need for mod_proxy_balancer or pen).
We thought about putting pen in the mix but decided by the time we have
enough requests to make us add more mongrels, we'll have Apache 2.2 (and
thus mod_proxy_balancer).

It's a bit of a cop-out, but these are all administrative apps at a
higher-ed institution, typically with 10 or fewer users, and we want to keep
things as simple as possible and yet as automated as possible.

Pat