[Mongrel] Informal benchmarks - apache, mongrel, etc

Zed A. Shaw zedshaw at zedshaw.com
Thu Feb 8 16:22:02 EST 2007

On Thu, 8 Feb 2007 10:56:14 -0600
"Berger, Daniel" <Daniel.Berger at qwest.com> wrote:

> I see that Brian McCallister did some benchmarks recently, showing
> Apache, Mongrel, Jetty and TwisteWeb:
> http://kasparov.skife.org/blog/src/ruby/silly-micro-benchmarks.html

*Sigh*, yeah those are really informative.

Why do people do crap like this?  You don't see me over on the stomp
list bitching about it's dumbass requirement that it be accessible via
telnet.  You don't see me whining about stomp using a shit framing
mechanism or copying all the worst parts of HTTP over.

In fact, I wrote a damn parser for Stomp with Ragel and gave it to
Brian.  Twice.

What do I get from Brian?  Whining and complaining that there's no
keep-alives or pipelining and the only "proof" he offers for their
requirement is a single sentence at the bottom of a page full of