[Mongrel] Apache+Mongrel Redirection Problems

Jens Kraemer kraemer at webit.de
Thu Feb 8 04:32:05 EST 2007

On Wed, Feb 07, 2007 at 11:36:58AM -1000, Stan Baptista wrote:
> Michael,
> Thanks for your help.
> >You have the server names as "rss" and "railstest", don't you have to
> access them via those hosts?
> If I put these entries in my local hosts file:
> rss
> railstest
> they are then accessible from my browser using these addresses:
> http://rss
> http://railstest
> Adding them to my local computer's hosts file is OK for my own use but there
> are a few other folks I'd like to show these to scattered throughout the
> site where I work and I'd like to find a way to do this other than modifying
> the hosts file on each system.
> One of the webmasters here thought it was sufficient to add the lines
> above to the _remote_ system's hosts file and adding RewriteRules to each
> VirtualHost directive.

that can't work, because the client (the browser) needs to send a
correct Host header for Apache to know which virtual host definition to
use. Usually the value for that host header is taken from the location
the user entered into the location bar. If possible you should get some
admin to create dns records for these host names pointing to your IP, so
that everyone can use these host names to access your apps.

> The goal is to be able to do this from anywhere:

You won't get to work this with apache virtual hosts. instead you need
to mount your apps under these paths, I didn't ever do this but afair it
has been discussed on the list several times.

webit! Gesellschaft für neue Medien mbH          www.webit.de
Dipl.-Wirtschaftsingenieur Jens Krämer       kraemer at webit.de
Schnorrstraße 76                         Tel +49 351 46766  0
D-01069 Dresden                          Fax +49 351 46766 66