[Mongrel] Mongrels 1.0.1 falling asleep w/ Rails 1.2

Zed A. Shaw zedshaw at zedshaw.com
Fri Feb 2 14:30:09 EST 2007

On Fri, 2 Feb 2007 12:10:03 +0100
joost baaij <joost at spacebabies.nl> wrote:

> *nix, Linux. No, not acts_as_ferret. I'm truncating log files
> manually every week or so, this has never been a problem anyway. Cpu,
> disk and network are all available in abundance.
> I couldn't say it also happens with a single instance, but definitely
> behind the load balancer. And then only one mongrel out of three.
> Always the one with lowest port (9000). He/she isn't home trained
> anymore and will leave a .pid file behind. The other two are fine.
> I don't snore ;) and you shouldn't invest much effort tracing this one.
> It might be a quirk in my setup, or specific for LiteSpeed or any of
> my plugins, or Ruby (1.8.4). It's no big problem since my app runs
> just fine with lsapi too. I just wanted to share. As I seem to be the
> only one, must be my setup?

I'd be curious to find out what causes it.  Memcache is the culprit these days with it's dumbass requirement that keys have no spaces or \0 characters and people still trying to put those keys in.  When this happens the whole world stops.

If you don't have memcache, then what you can do is wait until a mongrel "sleeps", then run strace on the process to see what it's doing, if anything.  After that, I got some other stuff you could try out using gdb.