[Mongrel] Mongrels 1.0.1 falling asleep w/ Rails 1.2

joost baaij joost at spacebabies.nl
Fri Feb 2 02:53:01 EST 2007

I'm a bit surprised I can't find anything about this in the mailing
list archives. Basically since Mongrel 1.0.1 I've had Mongrels fall
asleep without any real cause. A deep sleep, actually more like a
coma. The mongrel in question (I'm using a cluster of three) can not
be revived. A cluster::stop, then cluster::start is nessesary.

A ::restart would not help, but no ruby processes were left running.
The comatose Mongrel's pidfile would still be there though.

I can find no apparent reason in the logs, but this situation did
occur VERY frequently, most often overnight. I run a very agile site
with lots of restarts, so maybe it has to do with that (no restarts
during the night, a memory leak somewhere?).

It started with Mongrel 1.0.1 but .... just a few days before I
upgraded to Mongrel 1.0.1, I upgraded to Rails 1.2.

So I'm not sure who's the culprit. A few days ago I switched to the
lsapi RailsRunner and the problem has disappeared, so Mongrel
definitely is involved.

Just thought I'd give it a mention.

Ant btw Zed: the .nl welcomes you, the land of cheese and clogs.
Actually it's nice here, you should visit us someday!