[Mongrel] Segmentation fault in Mongrel when run with --debug

Zed A. Shaw zedshaw at zedshaw.com
Thu Dec 20 13:24:56 EST 2007

On Thu, 20 Dec 2007 18:42:47 +0100
Scott Derrick <lists at ruby-forum.com> wrote:

> I replaced mongrel with webrick and the problem went away.
>
> The offending page has been running for 45 minutes now, using mongrel I
> always died between 5 and 10 minutes.
>
> Guess I'll use lighthttp or something...

Well, webrick might be hiding a problem that's caused by speed like a
race condition or similar.  When your app starts to get more traffic
you'll probably hit it again.

Take a look at the extensions you're using.  I'm betting one of them
has a threading problem or isn't written correctly.

And FYI, nginx, apache, and lighttpd will all work with webrick the
same way they work with Mongrel.

--
Zed A. Shaw
- Good: http://www.zedshaw.com/