[Mongrel] Long-running pages cause mongrel time-outs

hemant gethemant at gmail.com
Wed Dec 19 14:04:53 EST 2007

On Dec 19, 2007 10:31 PM, Steve Midgley <public at misuse.org> wrote:
> At 02:42 AM 12/19/2007, mongrel-users-request at rubyforge.org wrote:
> >Message: 6
> >Date: Tue, 18 Dec 2007 12:34:54 -0600
> >From: "Mason Hale" <masonhale at gmail.com>
> >Subject: Re: [Mongrel] Long-running pages cause mongrel time-outs
> >To: mongrel-users at rubyforge.org
> >
> >Hi Ezra --
> >
> >I found it interesting that you recommended Bj (backgroundjobs) and
> >not
> >BackgrounDrb. I hadn't heard of Bj before, and I'll check it out.
> >Thanks for
> >the link. Given that you initiated the development BackgrounDrb, I'm
> >curious
> >when and where you would recommend Bj over BackgrounDrb.
> >
> >Mason
> Hi Mason,
> I found this link which clearly illuminates your question.
> http://groups.google.com/group/ruby-talk-google/browse_frm/thread/144e9b3644ffe88e#38b99ec30098b956
> In short: BackgroundRb relies on slave.rb (maintained by Ara T Howard,
> the author of Bj), and Ara claims only one person (Eric Hodel)
> understands how to use slave.rb properly: so BackgroundRb is just too
> complex to maintain (too much flexibility). Bj is specifically designed
> to address this issue.

Thats just one side of the story. BackgrounDRb no longer depends
slave.rb. Its stable as hell. There is not a single bug in
BackgrounDRb that has been reported and not solved. You can checkout
activity on BackgrounDRb mailing list.

BackgrounDRb is not Bj however, It can be if you want to use it like
that. Please check your facts before making any such claims.