[Mongrel] Long-running pages cause mongrel time-outs

Steve Midgley public at misuse.org
Wed Dec 19 12:01:26 EST 2007

At 02:42 AM 12/19/2007, mongrel-users-request at rubyforge.org wrote:
>Message: 6
>Date: Tue, 18 Dec 2007 12:34:54 -0600
>From: "Mason Hale" <masonhale at gmail.com>
>Subject: Re: [Mongrel] Long-running pages cause mongrel time-outs
>To: mongrel-users at rubyforge.org
>         <8bca3aa10712181034m79968dd4he6fa91ea44e3d2d6 at mail.gmail.com>
>Hi Ezra --
>I found it interesting that you recommended Bj (backgroundjobs) and
>BackgrounDrb. I hadn't heard of Bj before, and I'll check it out.
>Thanks for
>the link. Given that you initiated the development BackgrounDrb, I'm
>when and where you would recommend Bj over BackgrounDrb.

Hi Mason,

I found this link which clearly illuminates your question.

In short: BackgroundRb relies on slave.rb (maintained by Ara T Howard,
the author of Bj), and Ara claims only one person (Eric Hodel)
understands how to use slave.rb properly: so BackgroundRb is just too
complex to maintain (too much flexibility). Bj is specifically designed
to address this issue.

Erza's company EngineYard is one of the sponsors of Bj - so it's
designed to meet some business needs of theirs (I'm a customer so that
includes me!).

 From my analysis, Bj looks good b/c it puts the jobs into a database
table so things are both persistent and scalable with very little
additional infrastructure.