[Mongrel] Mongrel + Lighttpd

Pete DeLaurentis pete at nextengine.com
Mon Dec 17 20:42:51 EST 2007

Hi guys,

I've been chasing a problem in my web-stack: Lighttpd -> Mongrel ->
Rails, and found a problem with the interaction of Lighttpd and Mongrel.

If a request takes more than 5 seconds, Lighty will retry it - and
then the requests / responses get mixed up in Lighty and it returns a
bad response to the client.  Not good.

I'm convinced that the problem is completely on the Lighttpd side.

Why I'm posting to the group:

1. I was wondering if anyone has had success using Lighttpd's 1.5.0
mod_proxy_core to talk to pack of Mongrels.  (Maybe there is a
different setting I need in Mongrel or in Lighty)

2. I'm also considering nginx and wanted to see if anyone recommended
using this with Mongrel in a production environment.  For me, a
crucial capability is X-Sendfile (or something similiar).

Thanks for the help,
Pete