[Mongrel] Long-running pages cause mongrel time-outs

Michael Van Wie vanwie at gmail.com
Mon Dec 17 19:10:23 EST 2007

Hi all,

We use mongrel behind apache (using mod_proxy_balancer) to run an internal
app for our business. Lately we've been seeing frequent errors from some of
our mongrel processes.

[Sun Dec 16 08:48:47 2007] [error] [client <CLIENT1>] (70007)The timeout
specified has expired: proxy: error reading status line from remote server
127.0.0.1, referer: http://<long-running-request>
[Sun Dec 16 08:48:47 2007] [error] [client <CLIENT1>] proxy: Error reading
from remote server returned by /<long-running-request>, referer:
http://<long-running-request>
[Sun Dec 16 08:49:08 2007] [error] [client <CLIENT2>] (70007)The timeout
specified has expired: proxy: error reading status line from remote server
127.0.0.1
[Sun Dec 16 08:49:08 2007] [error] [client <CLIENT2>] proxy: Error reading
from remote server returned by /<not-so-long-running-request>

The problem seems to be that the long-running request hogs a mongrel
process, and when apache sends the next request to it (after a round-robin
tour through the other 9 mongrels), that request times out too. The original
action eventually comes back, but sometimes not for several minutes, so we
can timeout on many requests in a row.

I've seen problems like this mentioned in the context of file uploads (which
explain some of our long-running requests), but I've never seen a fix
posted. Maybe I haven't looked hard enough? Does anyone know of a config fix
that will skip over these blocked processes?

Thanks!
Mike