[Mongrel] Fresh install on Debian Etch - Mongrel immediately hangs

Paolo Capriotti lists at ruby-forum.com
Mon Dec 17 04:43:12 EST 2007

Luis Lavena wrote:
> On Dec 17, 2007 6:15 AM, Paolo Capriotti <lists at ruby-forum.com> wrote:
> [...]
>> I've found that mongrel tries to require some library repeatedly,
>> because it gets an unrelated exception while trying to load it. For me,
>> the missing library was actually fastthread, and installing it solved
>> the problem.
>> To find out what is the actual error, add a print statement after line 8
>> in lib/mongrel/gems.rb.
>> Hope that helps,
> Paolo, you can confirm this behavior happens also with "mongrel_rails"
> and not just script/server?

Yes, it did happen. After installing fastthread, I can't reproduce it
anymore if I uninstall it. mongrel_rails now exits with a clean
backtrace when started without fastthread installed, and script/server
runs webrick instead.
I don't know what exactly was causing the problem... maybe a wrong
installed version of fastthread? The exception caught in
lib/mongrel/gems.rb:8 was:
'no such file to load -- fastthread' - sorry, I didn't save the

Paolo Capriotti
Posted via http://www.ruby-forum.com/.