[Mongrel] mod_proxy_balancer mod_rewrite permission issue

朱博 zhubo03 at gmail.com
Wed Dec 12 22:57:14 EST 2007

I started the mongrel_cluster and tried to use the RewriteRule to forward
the requests to proxy_balancer just as the
http://mongrel.rubyforge.org/docs/apache.html said.
When I visited my site from a remote computer, I always got the error
messages "Forbidden, You don't have permission to access / on this server."

Finally, I added the "Allow from all" property (in the vhost config file),
just like this:
<Proxy balancer://mongrel_cluster>

        Order allow,deny
        Allow from all
then the "Forbidden" problem was solved.
The "all" could not be changed to "" or others. I guest this should
be related with the implement detail of the mod_rewrite.

My question is, could this "Allow from all" be a latent security problem?
and is there anybody faced the same issue?
Could I miss something through the configuration or did the mongrel-apache
document miss something?

I am sorry my English is not very good.

Best wishes everyone,

Alfie ZHU