[Mongrel] Getting it right - Mongrel Upgrade - Cap 2.0

Wayne E. Seguin wayneeseguin at gmail.com
Tue Aug 14 10:17:39 EDT 2007

On Aug 13, 2007, at 15:42 , Michael Steinfeld wrote:
> I just got the fire to clean up how our app is deployed and
> upgrading mongrel.
>
> Currently, our app is being deployed in a user's home directory. This
> has caused some problems regards to user/group permissions...

What issues were you running into? I deploy several production apps
to dedicated user accounts and haven't run into permission issues.

> I've read that there are some issues with Cap2.0 and Mongrel Cluster,
> Is this true? I was thinking to upgrade Cap as well. What, if/any
> other gems should I be concerned about general compatibility?

I've been running "Cap 2.0" for a few months now and have not seen
any issues with clustering. As long as you have your deployment
scripts written correctly you shouldn't have any issues.

> I am wondering if standard practice is to run mongrel  as
> mongrel:mongrel? Who should typically have ownership of the files in
> my app directory if I do so?  I am concerned about media uploads
> (images etc..). Does it matter if mongrel is running as mongrel and my
> app is owned by another user? Sorta  newb questions I know, but I want
> to make sure that I have this upgrade clean and correct.
> I guess I am confused about how 'mongrel' handles permissions.

If Mongrel is being run on a system wide level then do use
mongrel:mongrel. If as in my case you are using a dedicated user for
the application then use that user and group.

Hope this helps.

   ~Wayne

s///g
Wayne E. Seguin
Sr. Systems Architect & Systems Administrator