[Mongrel] Getting it right - Mongrel Upgrade - Cap 2.0

Michael Steinfeld mikeisgreat at gmail.com
Mon Aug 13 15:42:14 EDT 2007

I just got the fire to clean up how our app is deployed and upgrading mongrel.

Currently, our app is being deployed in a user's home directory. This
has caused some problems regards to user/group permissions...

We decided we were going to move everything to /var/www/app which led
me to the whole general layout of our deployment and some questions.

Ruby 1.8.5p12
Rails 1.2.3
Mongrel 1.0.1
Mongrel_Cluster 1.0.2
Apache 2.x
Cap 1.x

I've read that there are some issues with Cap2.0 and Mongrel Cluster,
Is this true? I was thinking to upgrade Cap as well. What, if/any
other gems should I be concerned about general compatibility?

I am wondering if standard practice is to run mongrel  as
mongrel:mongrel? Who should typically have ownership of the files in
my app directory if I do so?  I am concerned about media uploads
(images etc..). Does it matter if mongrel is running as mongrel and my
app is owned by another user? Sorta  newb questions I know, but I want
to make sure that I have this upgrade clean and correct.
I guess I am confused about how 'mongrel' handles permissions.