[Mongrel] [ANN] heel 0.2.0 - simple directory webserving with mongrel

Jeremy Hinegardner jeremy at hinegardner.org
Sun Aug 12 03:59:26 EDT 2007

  http://copiousfreetime.rubyforge.org/heel/

Many times I have a directory of html documentation that I want to have
served up and browse for a bit.  Or any other time that you just need a
little tiny web server to distribute a few things here and there easily.

Heel is a mongrel based web server to quickly and easily serve up the
contents of a directory as webpages.  Beyond just serving up webpages
heel uses an ERB template and famfamfam icons to create useful index
pages.

And to make things even easier it launches your browser for you so no
cut and paste necessary (this feature may be buggy on some platforms).

Quick example:

    $ cd /Users/jeremy/Projects/heel && heel
    ** Signals ready.  TERM => stop.  USR2 => restart.  INT => stop (no restart).
    ** heel running at http://0.0.0.0:4331 with document root /Users/jeremy/Projects/heel
    ** Use Ctrl-C to stop.
    ** Launching your browser...

I find it a useful little tool, have fun with it.

    gem install heel

enjoy,

-jeremy

 Jeremy Hinegardner                              jeremy at hinegardner.org