[Mongrel] what is the correct way to stop/start a mongrel instance using monit with mongrel cluster

Alexey Verkhovsky alexey.verkhovsky at gmail.com
Thu Aug 9 22:13:27 EDT 2007

On 8/9/07, Michael Steinfeld <mikeisgreat at gmail.com> wrote:
> I installed monit but which lead me to find the correct way to
> start/stop mongrel instances one pid at a time.

Monit's handling of pid files and daemonizing in general is pretty
weak. If you googled for "mogrel pid" (or had a long hard look at the
code) you already know that.

In RubyWorks Production Stack we solve this problem with runit. And it
was 37 Signals guys who told me about it. runit doesn't require
service processes to detach themselves, so Mongrel's shortcomings in
this area become a non-issue.

... shameless self-promotion
Actually, if you install RubyWorks stack, you get the whole
runit/monit/mongrel combo configured and ready to go out of the box...
:)

--
Alex Verkhovsky