[Mongrel] Problem with Windows & Apache Setup

Nathan Mealey nathan.mealey at simmons.edu
Wed Aug 1 15:35:10 EDT 2007

I'm using Mongrel 1.0.1 and Apache 2.0 to serve up a handulf of Rails
applications.

Apache proxies requests to the instances of Mongrel and uses
ProxyPass and ProxyPassReverse to deliver static files.

The Rails application uses sessions, and this appears to be where the
issue is occurring.

If too many users login to the application, then at some point the
application stops responding to the login process. People will still
receive the application's login screen and be able to submit the form
data, but instead of logging them in the application will just load
up the login screen again. This happens indefinitely.

In order to resolve the situation, I need to restart the Mongrel
instance. After restarting the Mongrel instance, the application
works fine for a while.

This only happens with this one application that is using Rails
sessions.

What could be causing this problem? And how can I resolve it?

Any suggestions/ideas are very welcome.

Thanks,
Nathan
--