[Mongrel] Mongrel stops responding after period of inactivity

Olly Lylo list at lylo.co.uk
Wed Aug 1 03:09:08 EDT 2007

I thought I'd follow up on my progress with this thread.  I haven't seen the
problem now for a couple of days so (fingers crossed) my problem appears to
be fixed.
Firstly, I DO have logrotate scheduled to run daily using cron but I didn't
touch this, so I don't believe this is the problem in my case.

I initiall tried setting the following in environment.rb

        ActiveRecord::Base.verification_timeout = 14400

This did NOT solve my problem, but is probably a change which should be made
anyway.

I then made two significant changes:

1. I didn't have the MySQL gem installed, so I have installed this (version
2.7).

2. I made the following change to my Apache Virtual Host setting to prevent
Apache from losing the connection to the proxy (according to
http://httpd.apache.org/docs/2.0/mod/mod_proxy.html)

        SetEnv force-proxy-request-1.0 1
        SetEnv proxy-nokeepalive 1

After making these two changes and restarting MySQL, Apache and the Mongrel
Cluster, the problem hasn't reoccurred.

Hope this helps.

Cheers, Olly