[Mongrel] Session problem mongrel behind Apache proxy

Reese, Terry terry.reese at oregonstate.edu
Wed Apr 25 12:18:50 EDT 2007

Could be -- this is the first time using the balancer with Mongrel so
something could be out of wack.  Anyway, here's the Virtual Host code
block.

Thanks,

--TR

# Virtual Hosts
#
# If you want to maintain multiple domains/hostnames on your
# machine you can setup VirtualHost containers for them. Most
configurations
# use only name-based virtual hosts so the server doesn't need to worry
about
# IP addresses. This is indicated by the asterisks in the directives
below.
#
# Please see the documentation at
# <URL:http://httpd.apache.org/docs/2.2/vhosts/>
# for further details before you try to setup virtual hosts.
#
# You may use the command line option '-S' to verify your virtual host
# configuration.

#
# Use name-based virtual hosting.
#
NameVirtualHost 128.193.xxx.xx:80

<VirtualHost 128.193.xxx.xx:80>
  SetEnv RAILS_ENV production
  ServerName search3.library.oregonstate.edu
  ServerAdmin terry.reese at oregonstate.edu
  DocumentRoot /usr/local/apache-lf3/rails/public/
  ErrorLog /usr/local/apache-lf3/rails/log/error.log
  CustomLog /usr/local/apache-lf3/rails/log/access.log common

  RewriteEngine On
  RewriteRule ^(.*/)?.svn/ - [F,L]

  ProxyPass /images/ !
  ProxyPass /stylesheets/ !
  ProxyPass /javascripts/ !
  ProxyPass /error/ !
  ProxyPass /icons/ !
  ProxyPass / balancer://libraryfind/
  ProxyPassReverse / balancer://libraryfind/
  ProxyPreserveHost On

  <Proxy balancer://libraryfind>
     BalancerMember http://127.0.0.1:4010
     BalancerMember http://127.0.0.1:4011
     BalancerMember http://127.0.0.1:4012
     BalancerMember http://127.0.0.1:4013
     BalancerMember http://127.0.0.1:4014
  </Proxy>

  <Directory "/usr/local/apache-lf3/rails/public">
     Options +FollowSymlinks +ExecCGI
     AllowOverride All
     Order allow,deny
     Allow from all
  </Directory>

  ErrorDocument 500 "<h2>Application error</h2>Rails application failed
to start properly"
  ErrorDocument 502 "<h2>Application error</h2>Unable to talk to
back-end service"

</VirtualHost>