[Mongrel] Session problem mongrel behind Apache proxy

Sean Brown seanmichaelbrown at gmail.com
Wed Apr 25 12:08:58 EDT 2007

On 4/25/07, Reese, Terry <terry.reese at oregonstate.edu> wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > I've configured mongrel_clusters behind an Apache 2.2 proxy using
> > named virtual host. Session are saved as ActiveRecordSession. But the
> > cookies created on client side doesn't correspond to session data
> > saved in database (keys are different). The RoR app react just like
> > it doesn't have a session at all.
> >
> > If I don't use Apache as a proxy/load balancer and call directly
> > Mongrel_cluster, everything works well.
> >
> > What should I do to get session working with Mongrel behind an Apache
> > proxy/load balancer ?
>
> I'm curious -- did you find a solution to this problem.  We have recently
> moved from a single mongrel thread to a placing mongrel behind Apache's load
> balancer and we are running into the same problem -- the initial request to
> the application initiates a session, but subsequent requests fail because
> the session data is empty.  Like you, if we don't use the load balancer it
> works fine.

We've been working with the exact situation you both outline above,
but we've had no issues like you've described.  To be clear, we've
got:

6 mongrels (clustered)
Apache 2.2 proxying and load balancing, (as well as handling the static content)

Would you mind posting your Apache Virtual Host block?  My guess is a
misconfiguration there.

Sean