[Mongrel] Session problem mongrel behind Apache proxy

Reese, Terry terry.reese at oregonstate.edu
Wed Apr 25 02:04:57 EDT 2007

> Hi,
> I've configured mongrel_clusters behind an Apache 2.2 proxy using
> named virtual host. Session are saved as ActiveRecordSession. But the
> cookies created on client side doesn't correspond to session data
> saved in database (keys are different). The RoR app react just like
> it doesn't have a session at all.
> If I don't use Apache as a proxy/load balancer and call directly
> Mongrel_cluster, everything works well.
> What should I do to get session working with Mongrel behind an Apache
> proxy/load balancer ?
I'm curious -- did you find a solution to this problem.  We have recently moved from a single mongrel thread to a placing mongrel behind Apache's load balancer and we are running into the same problem -- the initial request to the application initiates a session, but subsequent requests fail because the session data is empty.  Like you, if we don't use the load balancer it works fine.
Terry Reese
Cataloger for Networked Resources
Digital Production Unit Head
Oregon State University Libraries