[Mongrel] problem restarting mongrel_cluster outside RAILS_ROOT - patch and other option

Matte Edens matte at ruckuswireless.com
Tue Apr 17 16:46:28 EDT 2007

DOH.  missed that one.  shoulda looked closer.  That
/var/run/mongrel_cluster location is a good idea.  hadn't thought of
that.  However, you mention the init.d script.  My linux_fu is not
strong so I'm guessing that the equivalent will work just fine in a
FreeBSD setup.

Thanx Bradley.  I eagerly await the next release.  Now, off to update my
config files.

matte

Bradley Taylor wrote:
> Hi:
>
> As I mentioned earlier, I'll fix this for the final release (any day now
> - been really busy).
>
> http://rubyforge.org/pipermail/mongrel-users/2007-April/003454.html
>
> However, as I wrote before, its not a good idea to put pidfiles in a
> relative directory as they won't get cleaned up after a server crash.
> For linux, /var/run/mongrel_cluster is a better location.
>
> http://rubyforge.org/pipermail/mongrel-users/2007-February/003000.html
>
> Bradley
>
> Matte Edens wrote:
>
>> Sorry.  another long one.
>>
>> <snip>
>>
>> matte
>>
>> Wayne E. Seguin wrote:
>>
>>> Matte,

>>> Is this really a problem with mongrel cluster?
>>>
>>> A "fourth" solution is to simply modify your restart task in your
>>> Capistrano recipe:
>>>
>>> task :restart, :roles => :app do
>>>    run(or sudo) "cd #{current_path}; mongrel_rails cluster::restart -
>>> C [valid path to config] --clean"
>>> end