[Mongrel] [ANN] Another mongrel_cluster prerelease 1.0.1.1

JDL jamesludlow at gmail.com
Thu Apr 12 15:23:38 EDT 2007

On 4/12/07, Matt Zukowski <mzukowski at urbacon.net> wrote:
> For me at least the issue isn't so much constant and complete
> availability... It's that the "restart" command in mongrel_cluster
> basically doesn't work. After stopping, it tires to start without
> waiting for the servers to shut down. Most of the time this fails, as
> the old servers are still shutting down.
>
> Instead I find myself doing a manual 'stop', then ps'ing repeatedly to
> see if all the servers have shut down, and then starting manually.

I have a server where I do the same thing.  I know it's stupid to do
it manually, but I keep telling myself that it'll get fixed in
mongrel_cluster eventually, and thankfully I rarely ever have to do a
restart anyway.

1. cap deploy
2. code is loaded, servers start to shutdown
3. shutdown is "complete" but not all mongrels are really done.
4. start is issued
5. watch the PID errors blow by
6. manually shut all of the mongrel processes down
7. manually start mongrel_cluster again

This isn't exactly ruining my life, but it's annoying.  A step 3.5
that said "Hey, let's wait until the servers are actually stopped"
would be super cool.

-- James