[Mongrel] [ANN] Another mongrel_cluster prerelease

Matt Zukowski mzukowski at urbacon.net
Thu Apr 12 15:00:31 EDT 2007

For me at least the issue isn't so much constant and complete
availability... It's that the "restart" command in mongrel_cluster
basically doesn't work. After stopping, it tires to start without
waiting for the servers to shut down. Most of the time this fails, as
the old servers are still shutting down.

Instead I find myself doing a manual 'stop', then ps'ing repeatedly to
see if all the servers have shut down, and then starting manually.

Zed A. Shaw wrote:
> On Thu, 12 Apr 2007 10:15:13 -0700
> "Michael A. Schoen" <schoenm at earthlink.net> wrote:
>> Matt Zukowski wrote:
>>> Just a suggestion, but maybe the stop command should wait until all the
>>> servers are actually down before it exits. What Michael describes below
>>> is a fairly frustrating aspect of using mongrel_cluster. The restart
>>> process right now kind of sucks, and I suspect that making it behave
>>> more gracefully would make a lot of people happy.
>> And Mongrel itself does support a more graceful restart, mongrel_cluster
>> just doesn't use it at the moment. Even given the constraint that a true
>> restart won't re-read the cluster config, still seems worth being
>> available as an option.
> I think I'm going to say, no, you don't get this in mongrel_cluster.
> When we had it there were way too many problems because how Rails does
> this kind of soft restart isn't very clear.  It's basically a bunch of
> black magic ruby that reloads all the stuff like in debug mode.  That
> also means that it doesn't work with modules and systems that are
> outside of rails.  For example, you can't hook into this restart
> process so that you can properly close connections to Jabber servers.
> This lead to people having weird problems like Mongrel not actually
> restarting and memory leaks.  Of course, they don't blame Rails or the
> plugin they're using, they blame Mongrel.  In order to keep the support
> problems to a minimum, we just stop the server and restart.
> What's wrong with that for people?  Apparently you all need constant
> and completely available up-time for your web applications.  Great.
> You can't get this from Mongrel, or from Rails, you need to look
> outside at your proxy server, network architecture, and other sources.
> However, you do have access to it.  Every time mongrel starts up it
> tells you what posix signals cause what actions.  If you want a
> graceful restart and you know it will work then you just hit your
> mongrels with that signal.

This e-mail message is privileged, confidential and subject to copyright. Any unauthorized use or disclosure is prohibited.
Le contenu du pr'esent courriel est privil'egi'e, confidentiel et soumis `a des droits d'auteur. Il est interdit de l'utiliser ou de le divulguer sans autorisation.