[Mongrel] [ANN] Another mongrel_cluster prerelease 1.0.1.1

Rob Kaufman rgkaufman at gmail.com
Thu Apr 12 11:04:45 EDT 2007

Hi Wayne,
  Though that is a good idea in general, it doesn't get the job done
in this case.  The problem is that stop returns successfully as soon
as it sends the signal to the mongrel processes.  It goes out, says
"hey please stop what your doing" and then returns, telling you "I
told them", not "they have stopped".  It seems to me like what we need
is to have a --wait option.  The idea would be that mongrel_rails stop
--wait would not return until it had confirmed that all the processes
had truly stopped what they where doing.  It would be nice if wait
took an optional timeout argument.

  I see two benefits to this solution.  One it solves the problem
we're discussing here.  Your cluster reset could be composed of stop
--wait and start commands.  Second it will allow your system shutdown
or deployments to wait for every doggy to finish up and gracefully
return your maintenance page instead of just timing out.

Rob Kaufman