[Mongrel] [ANN] Another mongrel_cluster prerelease

Michael A. Schoen schoenm at earthlink.net
Wed Apr 11 19:56:36 EDT 2007

Bradley Taylor wrote:
> Reviewing the code (Zed correct me if I'm wrong), stop and restart both
> call the same stop method. The graceful handling of an in-progress
> request is the same.

Yes, and that handling works for me. The problem is that a stop;start
fails when the stop takes a bit, whereas a stop-with-restart will always
be just fine.

What happens now when I do a cluster restart is that some of my Mongrels
end up just dead, as they actually stop (gracefully) after the start has
already been called for. I could resolve this using a forced stop, but
I'm looking for a more, not less, graceful process.

> Restart also has some funky semantics when used in a cluster where it
> reuses the the command line arguments. This means that you can't modify
> the cluster configuration and apply the changes with a restart. The
> standard behavior of a linux (freebsd, etc) service is that
> configuration changes are reread on restart (apache, mysql,etc). So for
> the purposes of mongrel_cluster, restart == stop;start. Running a single
> mongrel with its own configuration file would behave as expected.

Ah, so I understand why you made the change to have a cluster restart do
a stop;start. We don't change the cluster configuration, so we aren't
hit by that problem.

But would it be possible to get an alternative command added that does
do an actual restart? If not, no worries, I'll hack it in on my end.