[Mongrel] [ANN] Another mongrel_cluster prerelease 1.0.1.1

Michael A. Schoen schoenm at earthlink.net
Wed Apr 11 15:21:33 EDT 2007

Bradley Taylor wrote:
> Unfortunately, this is not reliable for major changes and doing
> stop/start is the only way to guarantee that code changes will be applied.
>
>  From the mongrel code (rails.rb, line 164):
> # Reloads Rails.  This isn't too reliable really, but it
> # should work for most minimal reload purposes.  The only reliable
> # way to reload properly is to stop and then start the process.

Ah, but that's not what I'm suggesting -- a "reload" is distinct from a
"restart". The "reload" option for Rails under Mongrel (from a HUP
signal) just calls the Rails reload! method, and I understand how that
can/will fail.

A "restart" (from a USR2 signal) just a plain old regular stop, with the
  restart flag set such that once the Mongrel is stopped, it restarts.

This should nicely handle the situation in which a Mongrel might take a
few seconds to shutdown (thereby missing it's start oppty).

Make sense?