[Mongrel] comparison... why mongrel?

Matt Zukowski mzukowski at urbacon.net
Tue Apr 10 15:32:33 EDT 2007

The simple answer -- but one that probably won't satisfy your sysadmins
-- is that Mongrel is just easier to work with.

It's a tool built specifically around Rails/Ruby, and as such it
includes a lot of niceties that make using it a generally more pleasant

In my experience this is especially true if a) you are doing a lot of
active development (because restarting the server and debugging is a lot
easier than with FastCGI), and/or b) you plan on scaling later on with
something like Mongrel cluster. Keep in mind that even though this might
be a production environment, in the early stages of development you will
probably find yourself having to debug things on the production
instance. Environment-specific bugs will almost always show up. This is
where FastCGI can be extremely annoying compared to Mongrel.