[Mongrel] comparison... why mongrel?

Kyle Kochis kylekochis at gmail.com
Tue Apr 10 15:16:50 EDT 2007

My personal experiences with FastCGI have been buggy and just not very agile
at all. Setting up FastCGI was always a pain so I tried mongrel which was
just more simple and much less buggy. FastCGI is a little faster than
mongrel because mongrel has to use TCP and FCGI uses unix sockets. But if
you plan on scaling your application(s) to more machines then TCP (mongrel)
is clearly better than using unix sockets (FCGI). So my two main arguments
are agility and scalability. Additionally mongrel has some nice features
that just make life better.
Kyle Kochis