[Mongrel] comparison... why mongrel?

Matt M. goodieboy at gmail.com
Tue Apr 10 14:26:34 EDT 2007

I've recently deployed a rails app and our platform is Apache 2.2 + mongrel
cluster. It seems to be working fine... although no real tests yet. I just
recently found out that it is *quite* possible that the live server will not
be getting an update to apache 2.2, and the current version is 1.3. So...
I've installed Apache 1.3 + FastCGI on the dev server and it's running fine

In order to get any chance of having the admins upgrade Apache on the live
server... they want to know what the advantages are over using FastCGI
(which is a simple Apache mod install).

What makes Mongrel different that FastCGI?

What are the pros and cons of both?

Thank you for any feedback... I'm off to rdo more research!