[Mongrel] Problem using a configuration file

François Beausoleil francois.beausoleil at gmail.com
Fri Apr 6 11:30:01 EDT 2007

Hi all,

I'm trying to start Mongrel using a configuration file, but Mongrel complains:
$ sudo mongrel_rails start --config
!!! Path to log file not valid: log/mongrel.log
mongrel::start reported an error. Use mongrel_rails mongrel::start -h
to get help.

I'm using sudo above to replicate monit, not because I run Mongrel as
root.  Here's Mongrel's config file:

$ cat /usr/local/www/xltester.com/config/mongrel.yml
:environment: production
:group: xltester
:num_processors: 1024
:docroot: /usr/local/www/xltester.com/public
:port: "4785"
:cwd: /usr/local/www/xltester.com
:debug: false
:daemon: true
:log_file: /usr/local/www/xltester.com/log/mongrel.log
- mongrel
:user: xltester
:pid_file: /usr/local/www/xltester.com/log/mongrel.4785.pid
:timeout: 0

The permissions are:
$ ls -ld /usr/local/www/xltester.com/config
drwx------ 5 xltester xltester 4096 2007-04-06 13:35
$ ls -ld /usr/local/www/xltester.com/config/mongrel.yml
-rw------- 1 xltester xltester 426 2007-04-06 13:34

Mongrel's log files stay empty, and the PID file is obviously not generated.

At first, I had specified the log_file, pid_file and docroot options
as relative paths to cwd, but Mongrel complained with the same message
as above.

Anyway, what am I doing wrong here ?

Thanks !
François Beausoleil