[Mongrel] Mongrel dying daily with Ruby 1.8.6

Luis Lavena luislavena at gmail.com
Wed Apr 4 12:38:08 EDT 2007

On 4/4/07, kaushik.ghose <kaushik.ghose at gmail.com> wrote:
> Pete DeLaurentis wrote:
>
> > Here's a question: Is anyone running ruby1.8.6 succesfully with mongrel?
> On Windows Vista I'm running Mongrel with Ruby 1.8.6, rails 1.2.3 as a
> service. I have no problems with the service shutting down or becoming
> unresponsive. I run this on a laptop, (with hibernation) uptime upto 50
> hrs hasn't been a problem.

Hehehe, is good to know that you are up and running Kaus ;-)

> The "500 Internal Server Error" rings a bell, but I can't remember what
> was causing it and the issue has been resolved for me.

Maybe MySql timeout? from mongrel faq [1]

Q. Mongrel stops working if it's left alone for a long time.

If you find that Mongrel stops working after a long idle time and
you're using MySQL then you're hitting a bug in the MySQL driver that
doesn't properly timeout connections. What happens is the MySQL server
side of the connection times out and closes, but the MySQL client
doesn't detect this and just sits there.

What you have to do is set:

ActiveRecord::Base.verification_timeout = 14400

Or to any value that is lower than the MySQL server's
interactive_timeout setting. This will make sure that ActiveRecord
checks the connection often enough to reset the connection.

[1] http://mongrel.rubyforge.org/faq.html

--
Luis Lavena
Multimedia systems