[Mongrel] Mongrel dying daily with Ruby 1.8.6

Zed A. Shaw zedshaw at zedshaw.com
Wed Apr 4 10:37:37 EDT 2007

On Wed, 4 Apr 2007 05:43:54 -0700
Pete DeLaurentis <pete at nextengine.com> wrote:

> Hi guys,
> I've been running mongrel for a while now with Ruby 1.8.4, and last
> week upgraded to 1.8.6.

First, NEVER upgrade a production server to new versions before you
test the living hell out of it.  This always leads to disaster.

Second, I haven't tested Mongrel on 1.8.6 and there's apparently a
small bug in the new thread implementation that's included.  You'll
want to try out fastthread very latest even if you're running 1.8.6.

Third, whenever you do an upgrade you have to recompile ALL of your
gems.  Every last one.  No matter what.  Best way to do this is
uninstall all of your gems then reinstall the ones you need.  It's good
spring cleaning, but it also makes sure that the compiled extensions
work with the new ruby interpreter.

Lastly, I only deploy 1.8.5 with fastthread, not 1.8.6.  I'm sure
there's bugs lurking in 1.8.6 that haven't been tested out on both
Rails and Mongrel.

Let me know what you find.