[Mongrel] Mongrels dying on FreeBSD 5.5-STABLE......why why why?

Zed A. Shaw zedshaw at zedshaw.com
Tue Apr 3 15:05:08 EDT 2007

On Tue, 3 Apr 2007 11:05:50 -0700
"subimage interactive" <subimage at gmail.com> wrote:

> Yo Zed and everyone else, I'm having a major problem I'm hoping someone can
> help with.
>
> I've been running mongrel clusters for a few months with no problems on a
> couple of my boxes. They both run Debian...
>
> I recently moved one of my older Rails apps on a FreeBSD 5.5 box to mongrel
> as well. Everything runs quickly and wonderfully - when it's running! My
> problem is that over time each one of my 5 mongrel processes die. There's
> nothing in the mongrel.log telling me why they die. They just die.

You'll have to be more specific than that.  "Die" could mean they crash
and the process goes away, or that the process stops responding to
requests.  For the first kind you'll need to turn on core dumps and do
a gdb inspect after.  With the second one you've gotta list out the
various gems you're using and when you find a dead mongrel then attach
to it with strace or gdb to find out where it's blocked.

> My question then is two-fold
>
> 1: Why are my mongrel processes dying? Where's the log information?
> 2: Can these guys be automatically restarted somehow???

Yes, monit works great, other folks like runit.  There's a bunch of
tutorials for both.

http://www.zedshaw.com/
http://mongrel.rubyforge.org/