[Mongrel] [OT] Ragel and FSM tutorials

Jim Hogue jjhogue at sbcglobal.net
Tue Apr 3 12:26:13 EDT 2007

(Off topic, but just in case others are interested :-).

You should probably take a look at some computer science college level
theory books.  Look for "Automata Theory", "Turing machines",
"deterministic finite automation", and "non-deterministic finite
automation".  The turning machine is the classic example.

I have 2 classic texts on my shelf with good coverage - "Introduction
to Automata Theory, Languages and Computation" and "The design and
Analysis of Computer Algorithms" (Aho, Hopcroft, and Ullman authors).
Note that any text used for a comp sci theory course should have
coverage of this stuff (I am guessing that the 2 I mentioned are out
of print since it has been a zillion years since I got my comp sci
degree :-).  Putting "Hopcroft" in the search pane at Amazon brings up
a number of texts.

In college we had an implementation of a Turing machine using macros
in vi.  It was a classic.

I would guess that there are other implementations of Turing machines
out there.

    - Jim