[Mongrel] mongrel_service fails to get "service.exe" from ppid?

Luis Lavena luislavena at gmail.com
Tue Apr 3 12:13:52 EDT 2007

On 4/3/07, blindance at gmail.com <blindance at gmail.com> wrote:
> > Maybe I could code some dynamic loading (like psapi in proc_info) to
> > workaround this case scenario.
> >
> > Please let me know the results.
>
> WinXP x64
>  *** CURRENT PROCESS ***
>  EnumProcessModules (PID, name): 2020      proc_info.exe
>  Module32First (PID, name): 2020           proc_info.exe
>  GetProcessImageFileName (PID, name): 2020
> \Device\HarddiskVolume1\Documents and
> Settings\Administrator\desktop\proc_info_3\proc_info.exe
>
>  *** PARENT PROCESS ***
>  EnumProcessModules (PID, name): 2416      <unknown>
>  Module32First (PID, name): 2416           Error Creating Snap (SNAPMODULE)
>  GetLastError: 299Only part of a ReadProcessMemory or
> WriteProcessMemory request was completed.
>  <unknown>
>  GetProcessImageFileName (PID, name): 2416
> \Device\HarddiskVolume1\WINDOWS\system32\cmd.exe
>

> Win2003 x64
>  *** CURRENT PROCESS ***
>  EnumProcessModules (PID, name): 1856      proc_info.exe
>  Module32First (PID, name): 1856           proc_info.exe
>  GetProcessImageFileName (PID, name): 1856
> \Device\HarddiskVolume2\Documents and
> Settings\VMWServ\desktop\proc_info_3\proc_info.exe
>
>  *** PARENT PROCESS ***
>  EnumProcessModules (PID, name): 1584      <unknown>
>  Module32First (PID, name): 1584           Error Creating Snap (SNAPMODULE)
>  GetLastError: 299Only part of a ReadProcessMemory or
> WriteProcessMemory request was completed.
>  <unknown>
>  GetProcessImageFileName (PID, name): 1584
> \Device\HarddiskVolume2\WINDOWS\system32\cmd.exe
>

> Woot!
>
> I'm happy if this would help even a little.

Yeah, I'm happy too!

It seems that ReadProcessMemory (which is called from Module32First
API), fail to get information from 64-bits parent process.

I'll like to know from Vista users that hang on the list about their
results too, since WinAPI is always a pain to get working on different
platforms.

Anyway, based on these results I'll patch ServiceFB and prepare a
pre-release of mongrel_service with logging capabilities too (which is
waiting in my out-box to be commited).

Thanks for your help and feedback.

Later,

--