[Mongrel] MediaTemple Image upload

Zed A. Shaw zedshaw at zedshaw.com
Tue Apr 3 11:14:01 EDT 2007

On Tue, 3 Apr 2007 23:12:13 +1000
Serdar Kilic <serdar at kilic.net> wrote:

> Hi All,
> I'm hosting with MediaTemple who are currently using 0.3.3 of mongrel
> on their GridServer. My rails app has an image upload facility
> whereby if you upload a large image (e.g. 5Mb) mongrel crashes. I've
> requested an upgrade to the latest version of mongrel but don't
> believe that's going to happen too soon. I'm not getting too much
> information in the log files too pass on, other than what appears to
> be a memory allocation error (my container is 64Mb). Any ideas?

Mongrel isn't crashing, most likely you have too little RAM and the
linux oomkiller is killing Mongrel off when it gets too big.  Take your
app, put it on a computer with lots of ram, and then try a bunch of
giant uploads to make sure.  Then, if it still works simply go buy more
RAM from MT.

http://www.zedshaw.com/
http://mongrel.rubyforge.org/