[Mongrel] mongrel_service fails to get "service.exe" from ppid?

Luis Lavena luislavena at gmail.com
Mon Apr 2 12:48:08 EDT 2007

On 4/2/07, blindance at gmail.com <blindance at gmail.com> wrote:
> Thank you,
>

> > This is actually a "cross-platform" issue, between Win32 and WOW64 :-P
> > Could you test the attached file?
>
> XPSP2 x64
>  this process (PID, name): 2192, proc_info.exe
>  parent process (PID, name): 3592, <unknown>
>  Couldn't create Snapshot
>  parent process by thunk (PID, name): 3592, <unknown>
>

> 2003SP1 x64
>  this process (PID, name): 420, proc_info.exe
>  parent process (PID, name): 648, <unknown>
>  Couldn't create Snapshot
>  parent process by thunk (PID, name): 648, <unknown>
>

> mmm... I guess nothing is changed from the previous proc_info...

Guess it didn't...

Third round, hope this time we get it right, expected output:

*** CURRENT PROCESS ***
EnumProcessModules (PID, name): 3128      proc_info.exe
Module32First (PID, name): 3128           proc_info.exe
GetProcessImageFileName (PID, name): 3128 \Device\HarddiskVolume5\Programming\So
urces\_sandbox\proc_info.exe

*** PARENT PROCESS ***
EnumProcessModules (PID, name): 4084      cmd.exe
Module32First (PID, name): 4084           cmd.exe
GetProcessImageFileName (PID, name): 4084 \Device\HarddiskVolume2\WINDOWS\system
32\cmd.exe

WinAPI documentation is too confusing about 32-bits process listing
64-bits modules or process... also there is a lot of functions that do
the same from different approaches that aren't compatibles with
previous version of windows.

(i.e. QueryFullProcessImageName is only available in Vista and Windows
Server "Longhorn")...

Maybe I could code some dynamic loading (like psapi in proc_info) to
workaround this case scenario.

Please let me know the results.

--
Luis Lavena