[Mongrel] Request URI Length Override

snacktime snacktime at gmail.com
Sat Sep 30 15:07:15 EDT 2006

On 9/30/06, Gregg Pollack <greggpollack at gmail.com> wrote:
> If someone can show me how to invoke a POST request using ONLY
> javascript, I'm all ears.  You can't use any HTML (since the request
> is going to be coming from someone elses website), you can only use
> javascript to construct and send a the request, you can't include any
> external libraries, and the javascript is limited to around 256
> characters.
> There's a challenge for ya ;-)

Your requirements don't make any sense, how are you invoking the GET
without html?  Since you said something about browser compatibility
I'm assuming it's a link someone clicks on, and hence uses html.  And
what makes you assume you have to construct the request with
javascript?  I highly doubt that's necessary. In any case I'll bet
that it's fairly simple to convert to a POST.  If you need to or not
is another story.  IF you are submitting these large GET requests to
other sites where you don't know what limits will be imposed, I would
not use a GET.  If it's to sites you control, or to some sort of web
service/api where you know what the limits are, then it's probably not
that big of a deal.  IMO it's bad practice because there are too many
things that can come back and bite you later on stuffing that much
data into a GET request.