[Mongrel] Request URI Length Override

Zed A. Shaw zedshaw at zedshaw.com
Fri Sep 29 19:33:57 EDT 2006

On Fri, 29 Sep 2006 17:44:21 -0400
"Gregg Pollack" <greggpollack at gmail.com> wrote:

> Please help,
>
>      Does anyone know how to override the Mongrel request URI limits
> built in?  I know it was set at a 512 byte limit, but my application
> will not work with this in place.

The winnar!  I was wondering when this would happen.

It's currently a compile time limit since nobody had ever busted through it, but it's no longer 512.  It is 2k for the whole REQUEST_URI, 1024 for the REQUEST_PATH, and 10k for the QUERY_STRING.  Now that I look at it that doesn't add up right (should be 11k for request_uri total).  I'll update that for the next release of Mongrel and you can get it with:

gem install mongrel --source=http://mongrel.rubyforge.org/releases/

>      Why do I need a larger limit?  I've written a rails application
> that uses a bookmarklet to send large amounts of data from site to
> site.  The only way to do this is (and keep it cross browser
> compatible) is by building and sending a large URI.

How large are we talking?

>      Is there a way to override this?  Or can someone point me in the
> right direction to do it myself?

Nope, I could make it a configurable thing but it's not on the radar any time soon.

http://www.zedshaw.com/
http://mongrel.rubyforge.org/