[Mongrel] Mongrel Processes Dying

Zed A. Shaw zedshaw at zedshaw.com
Tue Sep 26 10:34:53 EDT 2006

On Tue, 26 Sep 2006 05:50:37 -0700
mongrel_users at homerlex.mailshell.com wrote:

> We are seeing mongrel processes dying in our mongrel cluster.  What is the best way to
> troubleshoot this?
> We have ruby 1.8.4, Rails 1.1.0 (upgrading soon), MySql 4.1 running on Red Hat Enterprise Linux
> ES release 4, Apache 2.2, mongrel-, mongrel_cluster-0.2.0
> I saw the following messages in the mongrel.log but not sure if theay are related to the
> processes dying.  It would be nice if the log had date/time for each entry!
> /usr/local/lib/ruby/1.8/net/http.rb:562: [BUG] Segmentation fault
> ruby 1.8.4 (2005-12-24) [i686-linux]

These are segmentation faults inside Ruby's http code.  Not sure how you're getting those but you'll need to investigate how your system is apparently totally different from everyone else's.  For example, why is it in /usr/local?  I'm thinking maybe you're mixing ruby installations/versions.

And, it's really hard to change http.rb to produce timestamps during a segfault.  Actually the fact that ruby is giving you a line number is pretty magical, so be thankful.  Normally you'd have to gdb a core file for that.

Which brings up another thing, turn on core dumps and that might help track it down.