[Mongrel] HTTP Parser (Regal)

Zed A. Shaw zedshaw at zedshaw.com
Tue Sep 26 10:31:36 EDT 2006

On Tue, 26 Sep 2006 08:49:09 +0100
Kris Leech <krisleech at interkonect.com> wrote:

> Kris Leech wrote:
>
> >Hi I was interested to see how Mongrel uses Lex/Yacc to parse the HTTP
> >requests using a Regal generated parser. I downloaded the source but do
> >not see the lex and yacc files...
> >

> Thanks for the replies...
>
> I see, my mistake, Regal is a replacement for Lex/Yacc, Im guessing it
> is very similar just a different implementation for the same concept of
> grammer and parser?
> Do you mind me asking what made you choose Regal over Lex/Yacc?

I wouldn't say it "replaces" yacc (I like lemon myself).  I'd consider
it like lex + 1/2 of yacc or a super fantastic insane lex.  It's still
using the regex algorithms that lex does, it just gives you a lot
more control and power in a nicer syntax.  If you wanted to parse a
full language you'd probably still want to use a LL or LR parser
generator.

http://www.zedshaw.com/
http://mongrel.rubyforge.org/