[Mongrel] Why Rails + mongrel_cluster + load balancing doesn'twork for us and the beginning of a solution

snacktime snacktime at gmail.com
Mon Sep 25 02:07:01 EDT 2006

I was taking a look at the source for mod_proxy_balancer this evening,
and it looks like the simplest solution to this whole problem is to
just add another balance method.  The functions that determine what
balance member gets the next request are pretty short.  I'm a pretty
bad C programmer, but I subscribed to the apache-dev list this evening
and maybe I can get someone there to assist me on the finer points.

>From what I saw, it looks like you could keep an array of balance
members that are handling a request, and then implement a short wait
cycle if all the members are busy.  Have it write out a warning to the
apache log when it has to wait so you know when to be adding more
mongrels.  I'll let everyone know how it goes.