[Mongrel] hosting multiple apps

Zed A. Shaw zedshaw at zedshaw.com
Sun Sep 24 23:24:14 EDT 2006

On Sun, 24 Sep 2006 21:20:31 -0400
"Michael P. Soulier" <msoulier at digitaltorque.ca> wrote:

> I am considering creating a web interface for system administration, but it
> would need a plug-in architecture, adding new UIs as new services are added.
> I'm thinking about doing this with multiple Rails applications, and I'm
> curious as to whether mongrel can most multiple apps in a single instance, as
> opposed to running one for each. Is this possible?

At around 23M minimum for each Rails application you'd never win.  Take a look at how webmin does it.  They basically have a high level API over their little plugins that is similar to CGI.  It all runs inside a perl webserver that's kind of like Mongrel.

What you probably also want to check out is the gem_plugins gem that comes with Mongrel.  It lets you create plugins like this with users just having to install a gem.