[Mongrel] How do you use Mongrel?

Kirk Haines wyhaines at gmail.com
Thu Sep 21 14:14:42 EDT 2006

On 9/20/06, Matt Pelletier <matt at eastmedia.com> wrote:

> I'm working on the Mongrel book with Zed, and wanted to get some
> feedback from the core users (this list) about how they use Mongrel.
> That sounds a bit vague, but I'm interested in hearing things about
> frustrating problems / workaround, preferred configurations, if you
> have a particular way you set up / store your config files when
> developing / deploying an app, for those of you running multiple
> handlers, if you have had to deal with any subtle issues, if there
> were any gotchas you encountered along the way from the docs that
> could be fixed (in the docs) or improved, any tricks you figured out
> along the way, etc. Any info will be credited properly.

I have just recently (in the last two weeks) put working Mongrel
support into IOWA, and I as well as some users are already using it as
a deployment platform for sites and apps even though I've not done a
new production release with the support, yet.  I am also using the
trie classifier library in one of the dispatchers that I am bundling
with IOWA (dispatchers in IOWA are modular, so one can pick from a few
in the distribtution, or just plug in something custom to do what one

Performance is comparable to using apache2 with the mod_ruby handler
for communication, and is close to fcgi performance, but configuration
and testing is much simpler, so it is a definite win for me.

Kirk Haines