[Mongrel] Why Rails + mongrel_cluster + load balancing doesn't work for us and the beginning of a solution

Alexander Lazic al-mongrelusers at none.at
Thu Sep 21 10:08:57 EDT 2006

On Mit 20.09.2006 11:18, Paul Butcher wrote:

>We have been searching for a Rails deployment architecture which works
>for us for some time. We've recently moved from Apache 1.3 + FastCGI to
>Apache 2.2 + mod_proxy_balancer + mongrel_cluster, and it's a
>significant improvement. But it still exhibits serious performance

Have you ever use haproxy http://haproxy.1wt.eu/ ?!

He have the following feature which can help you:

3.4) Limiting the number of concurrent sessions on each server

weight minconn maxconn

This tool can also check the availibility of your backends.
For ssl you need a ssl-termination SW such as stunnel or delegate or
which ever SW you prefer.

On the haproxy site you have a patch for stunnel for the x-forwarded-for
header, if you need ;-)